Skip to main content

#1 Karen Buglass from Rockville, Maryland, USA


Karen lives in Rockville MD, just outside Washington DC USA. I started out asking her if that was the Rockville in the R.E.M. song "Don't go back to Rockville"?

This is what Karen had to say: I wasn’t familiar with this song, but a little internet sleuthing, and indeed it’s one and the same. Here’s what I found at https://genius.com/Rem-dont-go-back-to-rockville-lyrics:

“This song was written in 1980 by Mike Mills to convince his then-girlfriend Ingrid Schorr, a student at UGA, not to return to her hometown of Rockville, Maryland for the summer. Since the song’s release, Ingrid Schorr has written about the factual inaccuracies of the song. While rendering the song technically false, her testimony gives insight into the true nature of the song. Since Mills knows nothing about the town, he’s invented a kind of worst-case-scenario that his girlfriend will return home to, hoping that she’ll start believing this and decide she wants to stay with him.”

Steve: So Rockville isn't as bad as Mike Mills made out then? Tell me a bit about your music.

Karen: I've played mountain dulcimer for about 14 years now. As I child I played piano; as a teen, guitar. I've always enjoyed folk music and consider myself proficient enough to teach dulcimer as well as bowed psaltery and autoharp. I am learning clawhammer banjo.

Steve: I teach mandolin and have started teaching dulcimer this year. Also ran a few workshops on songwriting. Bowed psaltery looks interesting. They are not very common here (in the North-East of England) but a friend of mine has one - haven't heard her play it yet though.

What first drew you to the MD?

Karen: My parents attended an ElderHostel (now Road Scholar) in North Carolina and my mom was intrigued by the traditional music and brought back a cardboard dulcimer. It sat in their home for quite awhile, and my dad gave it to me when my mom passed away in 1999. It was around 2005 that I saw it lying around and decided to give it a go. I was hooked and I've been playing ever since.

Steve: can you explain what an ElderHostel is and what they do there? 

Karen: ElderHostel..now Road Scholar, is a group travel company specializing in learning vacations for the 50+ crowd. Now it’s a bit more tourist-oriented, but back then it was typically based at universities and conference centers with experts on all topics either instructing on site or leading journeys for educational purposes.

Steve: Thanks, and I agree - the MD definitely hooks you. I have been playing for three and a half years and am now neglecting my mandolin playing.

How did you learn to play? What tunes were in your initial repertoire?

Karen: I wanted to get off to a good start, so I attended a small festival in West Virginia, about 3.5 hours from my home. I learned basic tunes like Boil 'Em Cabbage and Old Joe Clark. All my repertoire is now running together so I can't isolate others from that initial festival.

Steve: Are you still actively learning new stuff? What tunes are you currently playing or learning? And how would you describe the type of music that you play? 

Karen: Yes (still learning new stuff). I'm finding music that I like and arranging it for melodic finger picking and flat picking. I continue to attend summer festivals and learn new tunes from instructors in all genres. Since I'm also now learning the banjo, I've been transferring some of my old time banjo repertoire to the dulcimer. 

Steve: I can't quite hack fingerpicking - couldn't do it on the guitar either - but I find flatpicking relatively easy once you realise the pick direction doesn't follow the same rules as it does playing tunes on the mandolin or guitar. What tunes do you flatpick Karen?

Karen: I will flatpick (or fingerpick) melodic tunes where expression and dynamics are important, because I’m less able to get that with strumming. Examples are O’Carolan and Shaker Hymns. I sometimes combine that with chord strums, often on the first beat in a measure, allowing the drone harmonies to continue through the measure.

Steve: Do you play mainly (or only) in one tuning? Which tuning(s)?

Karen: I typically play in DAD, but I've never been shy about re-tuning and trying something new.

Steve: Me too. I do like DAC but don't have many tunes in that tuning yet.

Do you play with others - i.e. other MD players or mixed instrument groups? Are you a performer (for fun or paid?). Do you teach?

Karen: I do play with the Northern Virginia Mountain Dulcimer Players in a nearby National Park once a month. We entertain the visitors and show interested folks how to play. 

Steve: I used to work for Northumberland National Park - left in 2012. We played a mixed instrument session at their visitor centre a few months ago, 

Karen: The NVMDP meet at other times as well, but Washington DC traffic prevents me from driving to Virginia at rush hour to join them! I have performed as a volunteer, but my current passion is teaching. I have private students, do workshops at a local music shop, volunteer at the Lifelong Learning Program at American University, and this year will be the second time I've had the pleasure of being a tutor at Nonsuch October Weekend. 

Steve: Most of my teaching is at our local music shop too. I am looking forward to the Nonsuch weekend - as I mentioned the husband of one of my dulcimer pupils is coming along to your beginner sessions. There may be more of my pupils if I can persuade them.

Karen: I’m looking forward to meeting your friend. I hope others respond favourably to your persuasions!

Steve: What is the music scene like in your locality? Where do you play (i.e. at home, friends houses, pub, coffee shop, etc)? And are there many other MD players near you?

Karen: There is a growing traditional music scene. I gather with friends in our homes to jam, but there are pubs, coffee houses and outdoor venues where one could play music almost every night within a 25 mile radius. FOB--Friends of Banjo--lists area gatherings on their website and all instruments are welcome. Baltimore -about 50 miles away - has a lively old time scene, encouraged in large part by Ken and Brad Kolodner. 

Steve: always lots of music, traditional and contemporary going on around here too - especially around Newcastle. You could easily go to sessions every night of the week. Lots of rock gigs in the pubs as well. The Sage Music Centre in Gateshead offers lots of concerts and community learning.

A lot of MD players seem to collect instruments. Do you wish to admit to Dulcimer Acquisition Syndrome? Please describe your favourite (or only) instrument.

Karen: Yes, my name is Karen and I have DAS! (Steve : ha ha! I like that). I have 3 standard dulcimers, a baritone, and I recently bought a BanJammer - plays like a dulcimer, sounds like a banjo! My go-to dulcimer is a Steve Endsley.  It has a mellow, guitar-like sound. Bear claw spruce soundboard, curly maple body, and an ebony fingerboard.

This does not include the collection of 10 cardboard dulcimer I use for workshops, nor a couple of non-playable instruments that adorn the walls in the family room.

Steve: Thanks Karen. I am looking forward to meeting you at the Nonsuch Dulcimer Annual Weekend at Denstone College, Uttoxeter, Staffs. in October.


Popular posts from this blog

#10 Gianna Williams from Liguria, Italy

  INTRO: I met Gianna Williams (very briefly) at the Nonsuch Dulcimer Club’s annual weekend in October 2023. Gianna is the first mountain dulcimer player I know of from Italy. I asked her to tell me something of her background: GIANNA: I’m based in the region of Liguria which is just over the border from the French Cote d’Azur, so we enjoy a very pleasant climate here and the best of Mediterranean and Alpine landscapes. What confuses people is that I’m a native English speaker because I was born in Australia, then when I was seven we moved to Chicago, Illinois and then moved again, this time to London, when I was 14. I moved ‘back’ to Italy permanently in 2001. I’ve been playing the mountain dulcimer for almost 10 months, so I’m technically a beginner I suppose! But I’ve taken it very seriously from day one and have worked hard on making progress as quickly as possible. STEVE: The dulcimer is a fairly uncommon instrument in the North of England, where I live, and I guess it is very r

#11 Geoff Black from Herefordshire, UK

  Geoff Black is a mountain dulcimer player, dealer and tutor (not necessarily in that order) from Herefordshire, England. He has played the dulcimer on and off since the 1980s, but more seriously since 2009. You will find him at Nonsuch Dulcimer club gatherings as well as teaching at a number of folk festivals in the UK. He’s also a regular teacher on the online dulcimer festival circuit, teaching with his playing partner Duncan Gibbs (who lives in Wales). STEVE: Where to start? You are a man of many talents Geoff, so if you’re happy to do this can we start with Revels Music? When did you start up and was it solely to deal in mountain dulcimers? GEOFF:    Well, it started with my four children and the desperate search for playable and affordable instruments when they were growing up. They were into woodwinds (despite my best efforts!) and I ended up importing cheap old band instruments from the USA. So it was natural, later, when I found it difficult to get decent quality dulcim

#9 William Duddy from Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK

  I first met William when I was helping Liz Conway with the Nonsuch Spring Fling of 2019 and he hitched a lift with me up to Allendale from Hexham train station. Since then our paths have crossed many times, virtually and in person, and he now helps me considerably with the organisation of the re-located Newcastle Spring Fling. So, we have had many a chat but none as I can recall, William, about your music and what motivates you to play the dulcimer. Let’s remedy that now. First of all, how did you get into music – what’s your back-story? WILLIAM: Now as you mention it, Steve, I have fond memories of that Spring Fling in Allendale – great music and camaraderie high up in the magnificent North Pennines. I won’t forget the Sunday night concert in Sinderhope Hall featuring Liz Conway and her “Midsummer Blue” ensemble. That’s also when I first met our good friend Erin Mae Lewis (who joined Úna and me, with her husband Justin, for an evening’s music and craic in Belfast a couple of week