Skip to main content

#2 Doug Berch, originally from Brooklyn, NY, USA


Doug is a dulcimer maker and musician living in Michigan. He started his musical adventures as a piano player with rock bands when a teenager, then became interested in folk music when he was 15. He began playing mountain dulcimer at 17, which was around 1974. Around then he also started playing tin whistle and not long after that hammered dulcimer. He also plays clawhammer banjo and dabbles with a few other instruments. 

Doug started building dulcimers soon after learning to play them.

Steve: You have a few more years experience on the dulcimer than me, Doug. I was learning guitar in 1971. Although I heard the dulcimer over here in the UK around then, I only began to play approx. three and a half years ago. Can I ask you what first drew you to the MD?

Doug: I heard a folksinger named Ed Badeaux play a mountain dulcimer when I was 15 and had an unexplainable attraction to the instrument. It took me a year or so to find a dulcimer. There was no internet and New York City was not a hotbed of dulcimer activity!

Steve: How did you learn to play? What tunes were in your initial repertoire?

Doug: I read the few dulcimer instruction books that were available at the time and learned what tunings were used, but found the books available very limited in scope. Mostly I used the music theory I had learned in high school to figure out where the scales and chords were, listened to many different kinds of music, and ran with it.

My initial repertoire included America old-time tunes, British and Celtic tunes, original songs and tunes, rock and roll, and whatever else I fancied. That would also describe my current repertoire.

Steve: Are you still actively learning new stuff? What tunes are you currently playing or learning? How would you describe the type of music that you play?

Doug: I am constantly learning new stuff! I recently worked up an arrangement of "Lola" by The Kinks as a finger-style instrumental. When asked, I tell people I am a folk musician with a very inclusive idea of what constitutes folk music. 

Steve: I am a great fan of the Kinks and loved Lola when it came out (still do!). I once shook Ray Davies' hand - haven't washed it since. Can't imagine how Lola sounds on the dulcimer though?

Doug: Once I get better at using my phone to make videos I'll post Lola and let you know. How wonderful you met Ray Davies!

Steve: Do you play mainly (or only) in one tuning? Which tuning(s)?

Doug: I primarily play with 3 strings in D-A-D. I can play in several modes and keys and have many chordal possibilities in D-A-D. I do some tunes in D-G-D and occasionally use other tunings. 

Steve: Do you ever use a capo?

Doug: I rarely use a capo. I did use one years ago but I learned to use chord positions to change keys and modes in place of the capo. That way I could change keys in the middle of an arrangement and have access to the notes that would be below the fret where I had placed the capo. This works better for finger-style playing where I can avoid open strings as needed. For strumming I still occasionally use a capo, but not very often.

Steve: And do you play with others - i.e. other MD players or mixed instrument groups? Are you a performer (for fun or paid?). Do you teach? 

Doug: I play both solo and with other musicians. I usually play with musicians who play instruments other than the dulcimer. I have performed professionally and taught music since I was a teenager.

Steve: What is the music scene like in your locality? Where do you play (i.e. at home, friends houses, pub, coffee shop, etc)? Are there many other MD players near you?

Doug: I play with friends, perform at various places that host gigs, and occasionally at festivals.

There are dulcimer clubs and other players in the area but I am not very active with them other than occasionally offering them workshops. Most dulcimer groups and clubs in the United States play repertoire from tablature in unison and though fun as a social activity I don't find it musically very interesting. 

Steve: Yes, very much like the ukulele groups that took off a few years ago in the UK. Fun to play for a while, but the novelty wears off and not very exciting to listen to.

A lot of MD players seem to collect instruments. Do you wish to admit to Dulcimer Acquisition Syndrome? Please describe your favourite (or only) instrument.



Doug: I started building dulcimers as a teenager because at the time I could not find a dulcimer that met my needs. I currently play two dulcimers I made. One is my "résumé" as a dulcimer maker, the other is a dulcimer that had a cosmetic defect that kept me from selling it. I tend to have one dulcimer setup with a preference for strumming and another setup for finger-style playing, though I play both style on either dulcimer. 

Steve: I am having one of these "conversations" with Dan Evans who uses one of your dulcimers professionally.

Thanks again Doug!

Doug: And nice to learn a little more about you.

You can find out more about Doug and his instruments on his web page and blog:

Popular posts from this blog

#10 Gianna Williams from Liguria, Italy

  INTRO: I met Gianna Williams (very briefly) at the Nonsuch Dulcimer Club’s annual weekend in October 2023. Gianna is the first mountain dulcimer player I know of from Italy. I asked her to tell me something of her background: GIANNA: I’m based in the region of Liguria which is just over the border from the French Cote d’Azur, so we enjoy a very pleasant climate here and the best of Mediterranean and Alpine landscapes. What confuses people is that I’m a native English speaker because I was born in Australia, then when I was seven we moved to Chicago, Illinois and then moved again, this time to London, when I was 14. I moved ‘back’ to Italy permanently in 2001. I’ve been playing the mountain dulcimer for almost 10 months, so I’m technically a beginner I suppose! But I’ve taken it very seriously from day one and have worked hard on making progress as quickly as possible. STEVE: The dulcimer is a fairly uncommon instrument in the North of England, where I live, and I guess it is very r

#11 Geoff Black from Herefordshire, UK

  Geoff Black is a mountain dulcimer player, dealer and tutor (not necessarily in that order) from Herefordshire, England. He has played the dulcimer on and off since the 1980s, but more seriously since 2009. You will find him at Nonsuch Dulcimer club gatherings as well as teaching at a number of folk festivals in the UK. He’s also a regular teacher on the online dulcimer festival circuit, teaching with his playing partner Duncan Gibbs (who lives in Wales). STEVE: Where to start? You are a man of many talents Geoff, so if you’re happy to do this can we start with Revels Music? When did you start up and was it solely to deal in mountain dulcimers? GEOFF:    Well, it started with my four children and the desperate search for playable and affordable instruments when they were growing up. They were into woodwinds (despite my best efforts!) and I ended up importing cheap old band instruments from the USA. So it was natural, later, when I found it difficult to get decent quality dulcim

#9 William Duddy from Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK

  I first met William when I was helping Liz Conway with the Nonsuch Spring Fling of 2019 and he hitched a lift with me up to Allendale from Hexham train station. Since then our paths have crossed many times, virtually and in person, and he now helps me considerably with the organisation of the re-located Newcastle Spring Fling. So, we have had many a chat but none as I can recall, William, about your music and what motivates you to play the dulcimer. Let’s remedy that now. First of all, how did you get into music – what’s your back-story? WILLIAM: Now as you mention it, Steve, I have fond memories of that Spring Fling in Allendale – great music and camaraderie high up in the magnificent North Pennines. I won’t forget the Sunday night concert in Sinderhope Hall featuring Liz Conway and her “Midsummer Blue” ensemble. That’s also when I first met our good friend Erin Mae Lewis (who joined Úna and me, with her husband Justin, for an evening’s music and craic in Belfast a couple of week