Skip to main content

#5 John Crocker from Bristol, UK


John Henry Crocker, is a founder member (and namer) of the Nonsuch Dulcimer Club. He is 86 yrs old, a retired carpenter/joiner, lecturer, and a luthier. He has been making and playing both sorts of dulcimers for over 40 years, and has made guitars and lutes. He tells me that he also plays the bodhran "for his sins".

Steve: We'll not mention that John, your secret's safe with me!

Can you tell me what first drew you to the MD?

John: During the early '80s my son Paul saw Jim Couza busking on HD in Bath, brought home a sketch 'on the back of a fag packet', and asked if I could make one! Subsequently we both became attracted to the concept of MD after watching the John Pearse 'Make and Play' series on TV, and after some help from a more or less local luthier - Arthur Robb - I was hooked.

Steve: Now that surprised me. I would have though that you had started making MD's and then progressed to the many-stringed HD. But I know nothing of carpentry. I do dislike changing strings though - on any of my instruments, not just MD. I can see how Jim Couza inspired you...he was an inspiration to so many.

John: My journey into instrument making went : Guitars, Tea chest basses, Lutes, Hammered Dulcimers, Mountain Dulcimers!

Steve: How did you learn to play? What tunes were in your initial repertoire?

John: Trial and error....Nursery Rhymes.... Go tell Aunt Rhody.... Cluck Ole Hen....Nonsuch.

Steve: Did you and Paul learn together or did you go your separate ways?

John: Yes, Paul and I trod parallel paths until quite recently. Local get-togethers were almost always at my home in the early days. We were very fortunate to have John Shaw spend time with us. As mentioned elsewhere, different setup now.......and Paul’s ‘gone electric’!

Steve: I am tempted to shout Judas, but as an electric solid-bodied mandolin player I probably shouldn't. (Oh, and that's the mandolin that is solid-bodied, not me).

Are you still actively learning new stuff? What tunes are you currently playing or learning? How would you describe the type of music that you play?

John: Always learning, all and every sort of music!

Steve: So what tunes/songs are you currently trying out?

John: I  had a fallow time so far as music was concerned for a few years......I became primary carer for my late wife, and have since struggled myself with a dodgy ticker, but am trying to catch up a bit now. I can no longer make big stuff, but have treated myself to a new HD. I try to play across the whole spectrum of music......too many pub sessions years back, but if you are asking what am I trying on MD, then I seem to have been hooked on pipe tunes , using bagpipe tuning of course, something I seem not to have tried before for some reason?

Steve: What style of playing and tunings do you use?

John: Almost always noter/drone these days, DAa, DAc, Dad, DAg, DDD, (or the equivalent a tone lower). Sometimes EBb or other to suit the best sound of an instrument.

Steve: I am a fan of DAc myself as well as my standard DAd and its other variation DGd. I haven't tried the bagpipe tuning yet though, but I will get round to experimenting with it one day. I did try DAA  and mean to get back to it as it has such a rich resonating sound.

Do you use your own noters (I am assuming that you make them yourself) or something more exotic like a turkey quill?

John: Do I use my own noters? The answer to that is if I could make something, then that is what I used, excepting that I am happy to follow tradition and use what might be described as ‘found’ items......so pieces of river cane, bamboo or the butt end of a turkey quill for noters.

Steve: Do you play with others - i.e. other MD players or mixed instrument groups? Are you a performer (for fun or paid?). Do you teach?

John: Due to some problems with me ticker I play mostly in solitude these days or with my son, 'though have been  lucky in being able to have sat next to some great players over the years....Jean Ritchie,  Roger Nicholson, Maddy MacNeil, John Shaw. I used to have regular sessions in my home back in the day... of later years have joined in with Geoff Black and his S/W sessions in Bristol.    And of course have attended most of the Nonsuch Meets. I prefer playing in sessions over performing, 'though have 'busked'. I have sometimes done 'one to one' teaching.

There used to be a healthy MD scene locally....toned down somewhat these days.

Steve: Will you be going to Denstone College for the annual Nonsuch weekend this year? It would be great to meet you.

John: I will not be at Denstone this year.....did think about it, but did a check with Hilary Davies who was of the opinion I might struggle with stairs there.....plus I am in the queue for heart surgery, dates may clash ?

Steve: I am sure all at Nonsuch will be thinking of you and sending their best wishes.


John Crocker at the American Museum, Bath

And finally, John, a lot of MD players seem to collect instruments. Do you wish to admit to Dulcimer Acquisition Syndrome? Do you have a favourite instrument?

John: It is possible that I may at some time have contacted DAD.....not entirely cured, still have a dozen or so Mountain Dulcimers in the house, mostly made by me (in recent years I have 'regressed' and have concentrated on making near replicas of early pattern instruments). My favourite is a simple traditional hourglass in Cherry,  WR Cedar, and Rosewood, three string, made in '86, since upgraded with StewMac Planetary Tuners. It has been played by Jean Ritchie, Roger Nicholson, Maddy MacNeil, Lucille Riley, John Shaw.....and me !

Steve: Some history!

John: One small point not known by all members of Nonsuch: mountain dulcimers were not part of the original club.....they were 'allowed' in later, lol!

Steve: I have always found it a strange combination - these instruments are not the most likely of bed-fellows. Still, us MDers are a decent lot....we'll let the HDers stay!

John: Mountain Dulcimers were not part of the original club (Probus days) but John Shaw and a few others came to my home frequently and the MD was assimilated into the Bristol scene quite early on........and I think it was about the third meet of the new Nonsuch club (held at Hope, ‘94 I think)  found significant number of MD’s in attendance. They seem to have been breeding like the proverbial ever since!

Some members may not be aware that the club ‘came about’ in two phases . Early on in my Dulcimer journey I was fortunate to join with other more or less local HD players in a few dulcimer weekends at a place called ‘Probus’ in Cornwall. At such a meet it was muted that a club might be a good idea......when searching for a name I proposed ‘Nonsuch’, the name of a flower associated with Bristol, where a few of us came from. This was found to be acceptable by all, and dates agreed for a next meet.......which never happened ! Subsequent to this the club was reformed by some very enterprising folk, keeping its original Nonsuch title.


Lychnis chalcedonica.....’The Flower of Bristol’.....Nonsuch Red.......’without equal’


Steve: It's great to hear about the Club's history, and your part in it, John. Thanks so much for our little chat!




Popular posts from this blog

#10 Gianna Williams from Liguria, Italy

  INTRO: I met Gianna Williams (very briefly) at the Nonsuch Dulcimer Club’s annual weekend in October 2023. Gianna is the first mountain dulcimer player I know of from Italy. I asked her to tell me something of her background: GIANNA: I’m based in the region of Liguria which is just over the border from the French Cote d’Azur, so we enjoy a very pleasant climate here and the best of Mediterranean and Alpine landscapes. What confuses people is that I’m a native English speaker because I was born in Australia, then when I was seven we moved to Chicago, Illinois and then moved again, this time to London, when I was 14. I moved ‘back’ to Italy permanently in 2001. I’ve been playing the mountain dulcimer for almost 10 months, so I’m technically a beginner I suppose! But I’ve taken it very seriously from day one and have worked hard on making progress as quickly as possible. STEVE: The dulcimer is a fairly uncommon instrument in the North of England, where I live, and I guess it is very r

#11 Geoff Black from Herefordshire, UK

  Geoff Black is a mountain dulcimer player, dealer and tutor (not necessarily in that order) from Herefordshire, England. He has played the dulcimer on and off since the 1980s, but more seriously since 2009. You will find him at Nonsuch Dulcimer club gatherings as well as teaching at a number of folk festivals in the UK. He’s also a regular teacher on the online dulcimer festival circuit, teaching with his playing partner Duncan Gibbs (who lives in Wales). STEVE: Where to start? You are a man of many talents Geoff, so if you’re happy to do this can we start with Revels Music? When did you start up and was it solely to deal in mountain dulcimers? GEOFF:    Well, it started with my four children and the desperate search for playable and affordable instruments when they were growing up. They were into woodwinds (despite my best efforts!) and I ended up importing cheap old band instruments from the USA. So it was natural, later, when I found it difficult to get decent quality dulcim

#9 William Duddy from Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK

  I first met William when I was helping Liz Conway with the Nonsuch Spring Fling of 2019 and he hitched a lift with me up to Allendale from Hexham train station. Since then our paths have crossed many times, virtually and in person, and he now helps me considerably with the organisation of the re-located Newcastle Spring Fling. So, we have had many a chat but none as I can recall, William, about your music and what motivates you to play the dulcimer. Let’s remedy that now. First of all, how did you get into music – what’s your back-story? WILLIAM: Now as you mention it, Steve, I have fond memories of that Spring Fling in Allendale – great music and camaraderie high up in the magnificent North Pennines. I won’t forget the Sunday night concert in Sinderhope Hall featuring Liz Conway and her “Midsummer Blue” ensemble. That’s also when I first met our good friend Erin Mae Lewis (who joined Úna and me, with her husband Justin, for an evening’s music and craic in Belfast a couple of week