Skip to main content

#8 Paul Crocker from Bath, UK


Paul modestly said at the start of our conversation that he was not really sure he was important enough to be featured, but was keen to put over what it’s like to be an enthusiast. Not important enough? Of course you are Mr.Crocker - give over!

I asked Paul to tell us a little about himself:

My name is Paul Crocker, a Bristolian, now residing in nearby Bath. For approximately forty years, I have been an enthusiastic fan and amateur player of all things resembling a Mountain Dulcimer. I have always played at home for relaxation; enjoying working out how to play any tunes or music I hear about me that I like. I have recently enjoyed the recent development and availability of ‘Stick Dulcimers’, which allow me to play my repertoire upside down!

Steve: What first drew you to the MD?

Paul: I was very fortunate to grow up with MDs and with parents with a wide taste in music: Mum - ecclesiastical, Dad - Folk and 1970s Folk Rock. Together we watched the brilliant TV series ‘How to Make and Play the Dulcimer’ by John Pearse, in about 1976. From the accompanying book my Dad made our first simple triangular plywood Dulcimer.

Steve: How did you learn to play? What tunes were in your initial repertoire? 

Paul: I learned to play from this wonderful John Pearse book, fingerpicking in DAA. My first tune was ‘ Au Clair de la lune’, quickly followed by ‘Dye Ken John Peel’. Other nursery rhymes followed, then church hymns as I had been a choirboy (hard to believe now I know!). However I was soon thrilled to pick out Pink Floyd's ‘Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun’! 

Steve: That’s quite a leap from John Peel to Syd Barratt – that one I’d like to hear! 

Paul: Prepare yourself for a private performance at Denstone College!

Steve: Looking forward to that Paul! I assume you are still actively learning new stuff? What tunes are you currently playing or learning? How would you describe the type of music that you play? 

Paul: I am still learning new stuff, more time to do so now as just retired! I love all sorts of music to play on the Dulcimer especially medieval, traditional and contemporary. I recently worked out and played the 1970s TV theme ‘Eye Level’ from the series ‘Van Der Valk’. I also enjoyed working out and playing ‘The Unquiet Grave’ from a Gryphon record. 

Steve:  I listened back to Gryphon a few weeks ago – I’m a huge British Folk-Rock fan. 

Paul: I have a version of “TUG” which I sourced from the internet. I love playing it but unfortunately just can’t seem to sing it. So the type of thing I play on the Dulcimer? - ANYTHING I like the sound of!

Steve: Do you play mainly (or only) in one tuning? Which tuning(s)? 

Paul: I play mainly in DAA, DAC, DAD, and DGD. I love the simple beauty of DAA and the medieval sound of DAC.  

Steve: I like DAC too. Are there any tunes I can pinch from your repertoire? I played and sang “The Three Ravens” last week in a folk singaround. I didn’t get thrown out. I am currently working on a version of “As I Roved Out (Who Are You My Pretty Fair Maid?)”.

Paul: (here are) a few Folk Rock flavoured songs to be going on with until Denstone: The Unquiet Grave (Gryphon version), Crazy Man Michael (Fairport Convention), Rosebud in June, Matty Groves, Alison Gross (Steeleye Span), Cam Ye O'er Frae France (Steeleye Span), Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin), Scarborough Fair.

Steve: Thanks for those Paul. Do you play with others - i.e. other MD players or mixed instrument groups? Are you a performer (for fun or paid?). Do you teach? And what is the music scene like in your locality? Where do you play (i.e. at home, friends houses, pub, coffee shop, etc)? Are there many other MD players near you? 

Paul: Fortunately in the South West there are lots of other players. Geoff Reeve Black does a great job getting us together for regular sessions in the lovely Nova Scotia pub on Bristol Docks. Here we play a good mixture of regular tunes and also all bring along new stuff to try. 

For many years I have enjoyed Nonsuch residential get togethers at Hope, Launde, Halsway and Malvern. As well as having a great time I have been lucky to meet and be inspired by many home grown players including: Roger Nicholson, John Shaw, Dan Evans, Liz Conway, Duncan Gibbs, Geoff Black and of course a certain Mr John Crocker. 

More recently it has been fantastic to meet amazing American tutors / Maestro players. Yes, it’s great to get such experienced tutors to inspire us all. Looking forward to Mr Seiffert later this year at Denstone College. 

In my long career as a Mental Health Nurse, I have played for and with many patients. Communicating by teaching a simple tune can break down a lot of barriers. At home I occasionally play with other Dulcimer players or with a friend who is a good guitar player. Over the years, I have met and played with many Dulcimer friends visiting my Dad. I have have introduced and taught basic Dulcimer to many people and am looking forward to teaching Millie, my two year old Granddaughter! 

Steve: Definitely a dulcimer dynasty going on in the SW! Great to hear. 

Paul: Highlights have included playing at two weddings and at a memorial service and a Geoff Black, ensemble Christmas concert, in Gloucester Blackfriars Priory, in realistic medieval freezing conditions! Recently I enjoyed playing at a Residential Home.

Steve: A lot of MD players seem to collect instruments. Do you wish to admit to Dulcimer Acquisition Disorder? Please describe your favourite (or only) instrument. 

Paul: YES. I suffer terribly with a very serious case of D A D - (Dulcimer Acquisition Disorder). However, I am having very expensive treatment and have managed to sell a few lately to fund the purchase of MORE Dulcimers! Very responsible! I firmly blame my Father, at an early age, supplying me with many beautiful Dulcimers. 

Steve: Yes, it’s not surprising when your dad’s a dealer that you can’t escape the habit. 

Paul: My favourite Dulcimer was made by him for me in 1996. A Cedar, Maple, Mahogany and Rosewood hourglass, with butterfly sound holes. It has a beautiful mellow tone and a very easy action.

It’s not fair to ask a man with DAD to choose ONE favourite, so here are my close second favourites! Acoustic Stick Dulcimer by Robert Hinchcliffe. Solid bodied Electric Dulcimer by Duncan Gibbs. All Cherry Dulcimer by Rodney Hensley (USA). Banjammer by Mike Clemmer (USA). 2 Jack Ferguson (USA) Dulcimers. Stunning Spalted Dogwood, Chestnut and Purpleheart woods. Featuring wonderful Bell cat pre amps, enabling me to plug into my Roland Cube and play at any volume required! 

Steve: A tidy selection, Paul. Thanks for the craic - I look forward to meeting you again at the Nonsuch weekend.



Popular posts from this blog

#10 Gianna Williams from Liguria, Italy

  INTRO: I met Gianna Williams (very briefly) at the Nonsuch Dulcimer Club’s annual weekend in October 2023. Gianna is the first mountain dulcimer player I know of from Italy. I asked her to tell me something of her background: GIANNA: I’m based in the region of Liguria which is just over the border from the French Cote d’Azur, so we enjoy a very pleasant climate here and the best of Mediterranean and Alpine landscapes. What confuses people is that I’m a native English speaker because I was born in Australia, then when I was seven we moved to Chicago, Illinois and then moved again, this time to London, when I was 14. I moved ‘back’ to Italy permanently in 2001. I’ve been playing the mountain dulcimer for almost 10 months, so I’m technically a beginner I suppose! But I’ve taken it very seriously from day one and have worked hard on making progress as quickly as possible. STEVE: The dulcimer is a fairly uncommon instrument in the North of England, where I live, and I guess it is very r

#11 Geoff Black from Herefordshire, UK

  Geoff Black is a mountain dulcimer player, dealer and tutor (not necessarily in that order) from Herefordshire, England. He has played the dulcimer on and off since the 1980s, but more seriously since 2009. You will find him at Nonsuch Dulcimer club gatherings as well as teaching at a number of folk festivals in the UK. He’s also a regular teacher on the online dulcimer festival circuit, teaching with his playing partner Duncan Gibbs (who lives in Wales). STEVE: Where to start? You are a man of many talents Geoff, so if you’re happy to do this can we start with Revels Music? When did you start up and was it solely to deal in mountain dulcimers? GEOFF:    Well, it started with my four children and the desperate search for playable and affordable instruments when they were growing up. They were into woodwinds (despite my best efforts!) and I ended up importing cheap old band instruments from the USA. So it was natural, later, when I found it difficult to get decent quality dulcim

#9 William Duddy from Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK

  I first met William when I was helping Liz Conway with the Nonsuch Spring Fling of 2019 and he hitched a lift with me up to Allendale from Hexham train station. Since then our paths have crossed many times, virtually and in person, and he now helps me considerably with the organisation of the re-located Newcastle Spring Fling. So, we have had many a chat but none as I can recall, William, about your music and what motivates you to play the dulcimer. Let’s remedy that now. First of all, how did you get into music – what’s your back-story? WILLIAM: Now as you mention it, Steve, I have fond memories of that Spring Fling in Allendale – great music and camaraderie high up in the magnificent North Pennines. I won’t forget the Sunday night concert in Sinderhope Hall featuring Liz Conway and her “Midsummer Blue” ensemble. That’s also when I first met our good friend Erin Mae Lewis (who joined Úna and me, with her husband Justin, for an evening’s music and craic in Belfast a couple of week